Thursday, August 2, 2007

Bikes, Trikes, and Unicykes

I love bike treasuries. There's just something so iconic and even nostalgic about the image of those wheels, handlebars and spokes.








The photograph above was taken in 1995, outside the apartment I was living in. At that time in Beijing, foreigners couldn't just live anywhere, and this space was actually off-limits (oh I'm such a rebel!) . These bikes were standard issue at the time.

I was thrilled to be included in the list below with my photo card Revolutionary. I took the featured picture in Beijing during my first stint of China living in 1995. It was one of the office buildings for the Art Institute - actually situated on the grounds of one of the palaces from the Qing Dynasty. Can you imagine?? During the Cultural Revolution in the 60s and 70s, sites like these were taken over for the proletariat.

No comments: