Friday, August 3, 2007

pondering

Greetings... it's Friday night and I'm relieved to be home, with my cozy bed waiting, the air conditioning cranking, and a weekend awaiting. I've been thinking a lot this week about Bamboo Village, and what my best approach will be to developing the fund. Bamboo Village Supply and Press are doing fairly well - every transaction means so much to me, and I compile each package with gratitude and humility. I'm astounded that suddenly I have not only an avenue for serving humanity, but also a place in which to share things of great beauty that I either make or find and bring to the shop for sale. This is a dream come true.

This creative outlet is both a delight and a challenge. It's hard not to be outcome oriented when trying to put excellent, original and beautiful objects in my shops. Putting the time into Bamboo Village means that I'm working 2 jobs, and I'm really happy doing it, I'm just getting a little fried, and my "real" job is suffering. How do people do this?

What I'm exploring this weekend is where art used to sit in my life, and how to resurrect that comfortable, curious, regenerative approach to creating. After all, it's that approach that actually fills you up as an artist and brings more energy to your experience.

I'd also like to use this blog to share more with you about DaMiao - the village in China where we're focusing attention with Bamboo Village. I'd really love to respond to questions, since I've been facing a little writer's block. It's hard to translate such a life-changing experience as becoming part of DaMaio Village into concrete little vignettes, but I desperately want to share the story with you, and I'd love your help.




2 comments:

Morrgan said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! Yes, I remember you too from Etsy, I'm a fan of your shops!

I hope you have a productive weekend, in the sense of finding what you're looking for. As for questions, well, it's hard to know where to begin. ;) I suppose I'm curious about the differences, but also the similarities in everyday life.

Good luck!

child_of_africa said...

have you read "Three Cups of Tea"? If not, you MUST. I am really just starting it but I GUARANTEE you will love it. It is true story about a wonderful pure hearted man who felt he owed a great deal to a remote village in Pakistan and somehow managed to build a school there through pure focus and commitment and then it seems he went on to build over 50 in central Asia. perhaps the book will also inspire you in your writing. it really transports one to a location that one has never been and touches the heart with giggles and tears.